EvalStars specialises in the design and completion of evaluations and reviews, across a range of sectors, scales and contexts. Our approach is informed by international best practice (e.g. OECD-DAC standards, AusAID M&E standards, JCSEE Programme Evaluation Standards), and emphasises the effective utilisation of evaluation findings.
We have strong reputation in the design and delivery of results-focused evaluative monitoring systems (at both activity and strategic level), particularly where long-term, supportive, and collaborative working relationships are required between project/programme staff and external expert support (often remotely).
Our key skills in this area include:
- A collaborative, participatory approach to ensure the evaluation is fit-for-purpose and meets the client and stakeholder needs
- An ability to robustly design and complete both small and large scale, evaluations (including evaluations requiring aggregation of data from multiple projects), using both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Methodological design that meets best practice. This includes the use of a model/intervention logic, clear articulation of key assumptions, the selection of appropriate methods to gather valid and reliable data, and the application of evaluation criteria when making evaluative judgements
- Completing evaluations in a range of sectors, including health, tourism, education, law and justice, community development, economic development, agriculture, international development, environment, and youth affairs
- completing evaluation in a range of cultural settings, including Maori and Pasifika, as well as other cultures and ethnicities in developing countries
- Ability to design and complete evaluations that require longitudinal tracking.
We have a clear understanding and working knowledge of MFAT and DFAT approaches (including theoretical underpinnings) to monitoring and evaluation, as well as international evaluation guidelines and standards. This is demonstrated in our work for bilateral, multilateral and regional agencies.
Our breadth and depth of skills, knowledge and experience, and qualifications means that we can:
- Work flexibly and interchangeably across different methodologies, technical areas and phases of research and evaluation projects
- Deal with data capturing and systematisation, using a purpose-designed, secure data management system
- Design and use a variety of research instruments including surveys, interview/focus groups, on-line surveys, mail-out surveys, face-to-face/telephone/video interviewing
- Assist clients to develop evidence based decision-making by building capacity through training or individual coaching and mentoring.